ECWMF and GTT agreed a contract amendment to the RMDCN Service to extend the current term of the contract to 30 June 2025.
ECMWF has started the process of requesting GTT to prepare the relevant orders for agreed upgrades and/or discount following the successful completion of the second Technical and Commercial Refresh of the RMDCN contract. Selected upgrades will be implemented over the coming months.
The ECMWF Technical Advisory Committee established a subgroup on the Next‐Generation RMDCN and nominated Rémy Giraud (France) as its Convener; its terms of reference to be as follows:
- to assist ECMWF with the Technical and Commercial Refresh (TCR) process of the current RMDCN service contract with GTT in 2019;
- to assist ECMWF in its preparation of a strategy for the future development of a potential newly oriented service beyond 2022;
- to assist ECMWF with the definition of requirements for the future service, including the current requirements for WMO RA VI GTS and WIS and the emerging requirements and usage scenarios that are being developed within the European Weather Cloud initiative;
- to involve WMO/RA VI, WMO Secretariat and EUMETSAT as observers in the Subgroup, as appropriate.
On 31 May 2018 GTT Communications Inc. completed the acquisition of Interoute Communications Ltd. Extract from the official communication:
“The acquisition of Interoute represents a major milestone in delivering on our purpose of connecting people across organizations, around the world and to every application in the cloud,” said Rick Calder, GTT president and CEO. “Our enhanced scale, expanded network footprint and award-winning product capabilities reinforce our position as a global leader in cloud networking. We look forward to bringing the benefits of this acquisition to our valued clients across the world.”
The addition of Interoute:
- Significantly augments scale, expanding GTT’s Tier 1 global IP network with one of Europe’s most extensive fiber footprints;
- Creates the most comprehensive and competitive global cloud networking platform in the industry;
- Adds a large base of marquee multinational clients, balanced across geographies and verticals, with very high levels of recurring revenue;
- Strengthens GTT’s leadership in software-defined wide area networking (SD-WAN); and
- Enhances GTT’s global team with a world-class sales, operations and customer service organization.
GTT expects to complete the integration of Interoute within three to four quarters after closing.
This morning New Caledonia started operational data exchange via their RMDCN connection to the Bureau of Meteorology in Australia.
The connection of the USA to the RMDCN was officially terminated on 1 December 2017.
Today Azerbaijan was connected to the RMDCN.
Following extensive discussions and negotiations ECMWF received an final offer from Interoute for the first Technical and Commercial Refresh as agreed in the contract. This offer has been accepted and Interoute will now proceed with the implementation of the various upgrades over the next few months.
Following the discussions held during the ROC-19 meeting, it was decided that a total change freeze will be enforced from the 1st of October 2013 onwards for the network provided by OBS. This is in order to simplify the migration to the RMDCN-NG.
The RMDCN-NG Pilot Network has successfully passed its acceptance tests on July the 1st 2013 in line with the target date defined in the new RMDCN contract.
Following the successful implementation of the Pilot Project of the RMDCN-NG service by Interoute Communication Ltd. the Service Commencement Date of the RMDCN-NG started on 30 June 2013.
Interoute, the provider of the RMDCN Next Generation network, has handed over the Pilot Sites on May the 28th 2013. The Pilot Network Functional Acceptance Test (FAT) and Reliability Acceptance Test (RAT) are taking place as planned.
Following validation tests, Austria has become the 9th DMVPN site of the Large-Scale pilot on 10 April 2013.
As decided during the ROC-18 meeting, held in Geneva on 16 May 2012, ECMWF has operationally deployed on 18 January 2013 a service for viewing the Netflow statistics collected on all RMDCN CPE devices. This service provides information about the volume of data exchanged between RMDCN sites. It relies on the InMon Traffic Sentinel solution which analyses statistical information using the Netflow protocol. This service is available here.