I want to make a user mention in a page but I cannot find the user I am looking for. I get some other users with similar names but if I keep on typing to narrow down the search I end up with no results at all. I am 100% sure that the user exists, because I have mentioned it before and/or I can see it as an author of pages, comments, etc.
This problems happens because of two conditions:
- First, we have a really large number of users. Over 100k at the moment of writing. In this number many elements of their names are repeated (eg, "Smith", or "John")
- Second, Confluence applies some optimizations that don't go well will such large user number. The process followed by Confluence is
- As soon as you type three or four characters (depends on how fast you type) Confluence will make a search request, getting a maximum of 100 results
- If you keep typing, Confluence will refine the search by filtering down from that initial set of 100
- However, if your desired result was not in the original list, it will not be found.
- Which "matching" search results go in to the top 100 is not under the user control (is basically random), other than most recently used ones.