This page documents the steps to follow when a data provider plans to implement changes to their system, such as a new version of their model or a change in the configuration.
There can be two types of changes:
In both cases, data providers must update the documentation with what has changed, so users are able to follow the history of a model
Changes to the configuration
When a change affects the number of fields, we ask data providers to:
- Notify in advance ECMWF
- Provide test data (if required)
- Update the documentation
Notify in advance ECMWF
- describe the change via ECMWF Service Desk form: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/contact-us
- Subject:: select last option "Other"
- Message: "system change for LC-WFV archive" + description of the change
- it will result in creation of a Service Desk ticket which should be used in the following for all further communication (test data, docs update etc..)
Provide test data (if required)
If the change affects how fields are encoded, it is recommended to test the new encoding by ingesting test data in the MARS archive.
Also before sending the test data please use the basic quality tool grib_check.py (checking allowed min/max for each parameter) as per the information in Recommended support checks (mentioned in Support overview). Also other checking tools described in those pages shouls be a standard part of your workflow to minimize the support needed in the production phase.
Update the documentation
Models are documented in two places:
- Models, which contains an overview of the latest configuration
- Model upgrades, which contain additional details about the system change