- You need to have a CDS or ADS account. If you don't have an account, please self register at the CDS registration page or the ADS registration, whichever is appropriate.
- You need Python
Option 1: use Python 2.Test Python 2 and install pip
If you want to use Python 2, then it should come with your macOS. Open a Terminal and type command 'python'. You should see something like 'Python 2.7.10 (default, Feb 22 2019, 21:17:52)'. Type 'Control + D' to quit.
For Python 2, run the 2 commands below to install pip:
Option 2: use Python 3. You are recommended to follow instructions here using Homebrew.xcode-select --installInstall Python3 through Homebrew
- Optional: you are recommended to set up a virtual environment.
Python 3 comes up with this feature. For Python 2, you may want to use Virtualenv. This is out of the scope of this knowledge base article.
- Login to CDS (or Login to ADS)
- Copy a 2 line code, which shows a url and your own uid:API key details as follows:
Create your key file in your home directory in your Terminal window as follows:
- Edit your key file and paste the two lines you copied in Step 2 above to your .cdsapirc key file.
Install the CDS API client using pip, by running the following command in your Terminal window:
If you are getting connection issues, we recommend that in the first instance you check your proxy settings with your local IT team.