- You need to have a CDS or ADS account. If you don't have an account, please self register at the CDS registration page or the ADS registration, whichever is appropriate.
You need to have Python (and pip) installed on your Windows environment.Instructions to install Python (no admin privileges needed)
- Download windows installer exe from Python.org download page
- Run the exe.
- Screen will be shown to chose the installation option.
- Uncheck "install for all user" option.
- Go for the custom installation.
- On next screen specify the directory path for which your user have full access on the computer (take a note of this as you will need it to set the environment variables).
- Uncheck "create shortcuts for installed application" option.
- Make sure "Add python to environment variable" option is Unchecked .
- Complete the installation.
Add the installation and Script folder path in PATH using set (temporary) or setx (permanent) in a Command Prompt window.
This is to make sure that your computer knows where to find the Python interpreter. To do this you will have to modify a setting called PATH, which is a list of directories where Windows will look for programs.
Further details and examples are available here.
You may choose also to set your environment variables into a batch file (e.g. set-env.bat which you will need to run from the Command Prompt.Example of the content of a batch file to run in Command Prompt window
If you have Anaconda installed you can install the CDS API by
- Login to CDS (or Login to ADS)
- Copy a 2 line code, which shows a url and your own uid:API key details as followed:
- Paste the 2 line code into a %USERPROFILE%\.cdsapirc file, where in your windows environment, %USERPROFILE% is usually located at C:\Users\Username folder).
Install the CDS API client by running the following command in a Command Prompt window:
If you are getting connection issues, we recommend that in the first instance you check your proxy settings with your local IT team.
For those using Ubuntu on Windows, installing pyopenssl might help.