Introduction to Metview
A Quick Tour of Metview
This standalone module is a good first introduction to Metview.
Data Analysis and Visualisation Using Metview
This set of self-learn modules gives a comprehensive introduction to Metview's capabilities.
Metview Tutorial for the Introduction for New Users Course
The following tutorial was written for ECMWF's Introduction for New Users course (COM_MARS) and shows how to retrieve data from MARS using Metview, perform some basic manipulations and plot the result.
Metview Introductory Material
This material is taken from the COM_MV Metview training course held at ECMWF in April 2014. This course took place over 3 days, although a fast worker may be able to complete the exercises more quickly. 2012 was the first year that Metview 4 was used in this course. 2014 was the first year that the new user interface was used.
- Slides from the course: 2014-04-29-Metview_COM_MV.pdf
- Tutorial: metview_gui_course.pdf
- Files for the tutorial: mv_tut_icons.zip, t1000.grb
- download these files into your main Metview directory
- ztuv.grb should go into a directory elsewhere on the filesystem
- do part 1 of the tutorial
- unzip the rest of the icons:
- do the rest of the tutorial
- Slides from the course: mv_macro.pdf
- Macro syntax handout: macrotut_syntax.pdf
- First tutorial (Introduction) : metview_macro_tutorial_1.pdf
- Second tutorial (Model-Obs Differences) : metview_macro_tutorial_2.pdf
- Third tutorial (Advanced GRIB Handling) : metview_macro_tutorial_3.pdf
- Icons and data for all Macro tutorials: macro_tutorial_icons.zip
Using BUFR in Metview
The following material describes the use of BUFR within Metview.
BUFR Tutorial (for Metview 4.3 and newer versions): mv_bufr_tutorial.pdf
Files required for the BUFR tutorial: bufr_tutorial_icons.zip
Using ODB From Within Metview
A tutorial is available here:
Using OGC services from Within Metview
To support the meteorological community in adopting the OGC standards, the MetOcean Domain Working Group was established within the OGC. ECMWF is an active participant of this working group. Metview 4 provides a WMS (Web Map Service) module which can be used to query an OGC-compliant WMS server, retrieve maps from it and overlay them with other data. A tutorial is available here:
Using FLEXTRA From Within Metview (ECMWF internal only)
The following material describes the use of FLEXTRA within Metview, and is currently only applicable to internal ECMWF users.
Using FLEXPART From Within Metview
The following material describes the use of the particle dispersion model FLEXPART from within Metview.
Using Metview to Prepare data for 3D Visualisation in VAPOR
A tutorial is available here:
Using the Single Column Model in Metview
This tutorial requires a single column model executable, which is not a standard part of the Metview distribution. It is, however, used as part of OpenIFS Home Workshops and the Parametrization of subgrid physical processes training course. The Metview-SCM tutorial is here: